Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thoughts...

My fingers ache. They are as wrinkled as prunes and smell like conditioner. After two heads full of tiny corn rows my eyes are starting to cross. I was never good at braids. I am not good at doing my own hair. I am getting a handle on theirs.
I think as I braid, my hands falling into a now familiar rhythm, fingers moving on their own.  I think about how I pictured my life. I think of the children I pictured when I was pregnant. Little girls with long smooth hair and freckles.  Chubby pink cheeks. Eyes like my mom's and the Loy lips to go along with them. The Norwegian bone structure from my father peeking out through the baby roundness.  I wonder what my life would have been like. Who they would have been. Who I would have been if things had gone according to plan and if things had not gone wrong around 12 weeks. And then the next time around 6 weeks.  Do I still grieve for them? For the me I could have been, still trusting that really bad things won't happen? Maybe.  Sometimes I think of those little girls and long for them.
Then I look down at the straight rows emerging from my fingertips.  I see the dark ringlets run riot in the next section to be braided. I feel a small pat on my foot from my first and now middle daughter. I hear the laughter coming from upstairs as my eldest and youngest race to see who can get their pajamas on first, and smile as I hear their feet thunder down the stairs. My life is different than I thought it would be. My children are not who I envisioned when I was picturing my future. But they are mine. And they are perfect. And when I look at them, I see my children... not who I was anticipating, but better than I ever could have imagined. And for that, I am oh so thankful.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/29/2012

    Such a beautiful, heartfelt expression of what motherhood is, the anguish, the joy, the elation and the doubt - how incredibly fortunate you are to have the insights you do and the love to share with your beautiful children.. Surely God has touched you in special ways and the world is graced by your presence in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an intensely beautiful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a book written by someone in a similar situation and they said it was like planning a trip to Venise and ending up in Amsterdam - it's not better or worse but it's different and it can end up as so much more than you had originally planned.
    In any case, your three children are wonderful and you and Nathan have done an incredible job.
    Hugs to all -

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfectly said. this is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it, and great photo of a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said. Happy to hear things are well with you all! ...and a lovely pic to wrap it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kate for so elegantly stating your thoughts. They are shared by many women, but few of us can relay our feelings into words as meaningful as these. You and Nathan have been blessed by the addition of these beautiful children in your life, but it is the children whose lives have been so incredibly altered and improved because you cared enough to make the difference. At one time they had little hope of a positive future and now the sky is the limit. Thank God from whom all blessings flow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is kind of you to say... Although I believe strongly that Nathan and I have benefited much more and lost much less to form our family.

      Delete
  9. This is a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete