Monday, April 28, 2008

Results...

According to our very unscientific poll, the winning names were Isabel, Eleanor, Madeline, Sofia, Truman, Edison, Samuel, and.... I can't remember the other boy's name. Huh. Maybe I didn't like it that much after all! The problem is that I don't think we can really name our kids until we meet them. What if we start calling them one name, and when we meet them they seem like they don't even look like the name we have been calling them? Plus, I keep finding new names I like. My new current favorite is Harper. Nathan hates it because it reminds him of harpies... but Elz and I can work on him!

Just for fun, I'll post some of the Amharic phrases I'm practicing.
Coffee: boo na
Come: na
Dinner: raht
Dog: wusha
Don’t touch that: en dahten ah ca
Do you miss Ethiopia: Ethiopian nah fah caht?
Do you understand: gah bah?
Do you want a hug: li ka fah
Do you want food: migeb tifellagahla?
Do you want to go to the toilet: shint-bet mehed tifellagahla?
Do you want to sleep: meh tegna tifellagahla?
Drink: tata
Friend: gwa dane ya
Give me your hand: ya gzhin (i.e. to help me do something)
Good job: gobez
Help: irdign
I am sorry: azen allo
I am your mother: ene enateh negn
I don’t understand: algah banyem
Mummy loves you: Mummy twah dah ha lich
Please hurry: bahc to lo bell
Quiet: set ta ta
They don’t bite: eye na ca soom
We are going home: betachen eyheyden now
You have to take a bath now: ahoon titatebaleh
We are going to sleep now: linn ten ya now

Practice hard! Next time I see you I'll give you a quiz.... but the only ones I can remember consistently are Gobez ( good job) and eyenacasoom (They don't bite) and boona (Coffee). Really, what more will we need?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/30/2008

    How do you say "They just drool"...You should tack that on to the end of "They don't bite."
    See you someday soon in Wilmar?

    ReplyDelete