Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sleep... or lack there of...

Okay, the hit counter on my blog keeps going up, so I'm going to assume that at least a few people read it (although it might just be my mom checking over and over again). If anyone has any great 'how to get Mer to sleep in her own bed' advice, and 'go to sleep relatively on her own', advice I'd love to hear it. The girl has amazing will power, and I really do believe that she'd stay up all night if we just laid her down. You're thinking, "No, that's crazy! Eventually she'll fall asleep!" but I think you're wrong. She does everything in her power, including hitting herself in the head and pinching her nose to stay awake. I mean, we have to hold her in a certain position (on her left side only - my goodness she is a high maintenance sleeper!) to literally hold her arms, legs and head still for her so that she can't keep herself awake. If we let loose before she is asleep she pops up, says "Hi!" and starts to play. It is actually pretty funny, unless we are really tired, because she is so sweet and happy laying there. She does all of her tricks to try to get us to play with her, including patting my cheek and sighing "Mama!" giving kisses, trying to get us to play itsy bitsy spider and kiss her toes, etc. But if we give in, all is lost and she just tries different tricks for that much longer the next time. She has done this until 2am, when we finally went back to the old 'hold her arms and legs still' method. It is crazy! Plus, I can't let her cry it out. Even if I hadn't read enough books on attachment to know that it could be detrimental to our still forming relationship, I don't have it in me. And, since the other possible methods include staying in the room but not interacting and soothing while not picking up, her arms and legs would be free to do their 'keep Mer awake thing.' So, as I am one tired Mama and would really like to sleep, if you have any brilliant ideas I'd love to hear them! Without further ado I will cease whining about my incredible blessing of a daughter and show you some fabulous pictures. Note the rapt expression on her face? I'll give you one guess as to what she is doing. Yup, watching "Happy Feet." Otherwise known as the movie that makes it possible for my 18 month old to sit for an hour and a half while getting her hair done. Crazy dancing penguins...























3 comments:

  1. I am so, so, so sorry she won't sleep. I know you've been struggling with this for so long. I wish I had advice, but I don't dear friend. I just hope Sam sleeps thru the night, and if he doesn't, I'm calling you at 1 am to talk it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well ..... do you have a rocking chair in her room? I tried this with Tavian rocking, read, hugs kisses, goodnight then put him in the crib. Then ... sit there silent no talking and eventually the both of us would fall asleep and when I awoke he was out. Although this did take about 6 to 7 days of me doing this every night it did finally pay off and he slept in his crib. Maybe it's worth a shot, who knows. For your sanity though I hope you find something that works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/17/2009

    I don't want to bring up unpleasant memories, but weren't you the kid who propped open her eyelids with her fingers so she wouldn't fall asleep? (If not, excuse me, and I'm so sorry you're not getting enough sleep.)
    My problem too was always wanting to laugh. I found people outside the immediate family circle had much more power to incite sleep.

    ReplyDelete