Wednesday, April 25, 2012

In which Mimi makes her Mama proud...

This girl right here?













She is going to be a force to be reckoned with when she grows into herself.  
She already is, but I can only imagine who she is going to be when she grows up.  


 The kids went to a big park with my mom recently and a kind of bad thing happened to Malakai.  He was climbing up a ladder when a big boy (like 12 or 13) kicked him in the head and knocked him off the top of the ladder.  He was really scared, and really hurt... in every sense of the word.
 My mom unleashed some wrath, which is no surprise.  She is little, but I would bet on her in pretty much any fight if she was defending her family.  She's pretty ferocious like that, although you'd never know it lurked beneath her gentle, patient exterior.  

What kind of surprised me, although it shouldn't have, was that Mer unleashed some fury of her own.  My little Mimi started yelling at this kid. "You DON'T hurt my BROTHER!" She started climbing the ladder to yell at him more effectively, and my mom had to pry her down.  A couple of minutes later, she went after him again, demanding explanation and retribution.  
I love how much she loves him.  How mama bear fierce she is in her devotion... even though he drives her crazy. And how's that for gutsy? Taking on some strange boy who is 3 times your age and probably 10 times your size? 
















Mer and I were driving the other day and I talked to her about it.  She said she was so mad because it isn't okay to hurt her family.  I told her how proud I was that she stood up for her brother.  Mer said, "I'm going to put that in my brain so I know that you said that."  













I'm glad, because I really am so very proud.  Plus, she reminds me of my mom.












Roar on little bear. Roar on.

3 comments:

  1. roar on Mimi, with your fierce beautiful loyal self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kai's Grandma4/25/2012

    I should have done more, Kate, but if something like that ever happens again, I will be much better prepared. Dad spoke with someone about it at a meeting today, and she said that we too often react to situations like that by telling ourselves that the kid needs help instead of saying that we're not going to put with that crappy behavior. I'm having trouble sleeping over this - Kai deserved more than I gave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that in situations like that we all have a tendency to be so taken by surprise that we don't really have a true reaction until later. I mean, who has a plan for that? Next time you will have a plan(and I will, because now it is something that I have had to think about). I don't think that empathy is a bad thing, either. I don't think that people need to put up with crappy behavior, but the fact that we can recognize the humanity of another person (who was, himself a child)doesn't make us bad people. In fact, that is what makes you a good person... and an excellent mother and grandmother.
    I think you are the best Grandma in the world and Kai is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete