Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Courage


Okay... You know my kids, right?
Hana is 5 and Meron is 4.  They are little. Like... really little.

A couple of weekends ago they participated in their first tournament.  I was nervous... it is a lot of pressure and a bit scary for kids who haven't done it before. There are TONS of people that they don't know, lots of rules to keep track of, and lots of things that they really have to do on their own.  So, my girls (I mentioned that they are 5 and 4, right?) Were told to line up with the other competitors. They waved good bye to me and walked right down to be assisted by the black belts, most of whom they didn't know. Can you see them? They are the tiny brown dots way in the front... on the opposite side of the gym from me.
They waited nicely through opening ceremonies and followed directions to get to their rings and sit down.  And they sat.  For a LONG time. I mean, a really, really long time.
 Then, my tiny girls stood up in front of 4 black belts and Masters that they didn't know, told them their name and the form they were going to perform and did their patterns. By themselves.  Again... notice how freakin' tiny they are?!

I can't believe how brave they were. So incredibly poised for their ages. I was so very proud. And they can't wait to do it again.

3 comments:

  1. Diane W5/17/2012

    Hi Kate, I ran across this on another blog and thought it was such an awesome idea. Your children are most likely brave and confident because those are the models they see everyday. However, if they ever need a boost, I wish I had had this when my child was young.

    http://www.raisinglemons.com/thoughts-2/where-does-confidence-come-from/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! It must have been a terrific experience for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really interesting, Diane. Thanks!
    It was a good experience... I honestly didn't think they'd go through with it. I was impressed, for sure

    ReplyDelete