Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Safe

I am sitting in the kitchen, listening to Nathan handle some serious business upstairs. He is still calm in the face of some tremendous pressure, but we'll tag off soon before his patience starts to wear thin. And wear thin it must, because people aren't built to withstand the huge feelings that are spilling all over up there. Traumaversary + getting pictures of a much beloved and missed family member in Ethiopia + the last day of school apparently equals some storms the likes of which we really haven't seen for a long time. I get it, really I do. Sometimes feelings as big and confusing and scary as the ones she is experiencing are just way too much for her little heart to contain. It is hard. I won't say it isn't. Parenting really wasn't meant to be this way. But, on days like today, there really isn't anything we can do but breathe. Try to help sort out the monumental yuck that is overtaking her brain. Make her feel like she has a safe place in the storm. Cause really, as much as I wish my parenting duties didn't include days like today, isn't that what all parents are supposed to do? Make a safe place for their kids? Deep breath. My turn to head into the storm.

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy. I think I know what you're describing. I'm sending gigantic hugs and strength and loads of inner peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are three HUGE things. Some days all you can do is declare a household state of emergency and hang on tight. I hope getting those big scary feelings out and finding her loving parents still there, braving the storm with her brings your baby peace. And also, that you have an adequate supply of fortitude and chocolate at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you positive thoughts and loads of empathy. I think our kids are around the same age...We're coming out of a difficult past 2 weeks; but June = end of kindergarten and a trauma anniversary. We'll see how it goes.

    I get it. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete