Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One Year!

One year ago today we stumbled off of an airplane and drove through the throng of people that is a street in Addis Ababa. We sat on a couch, numb with exhaustion and disbelief and watched a nanny with tears in her eyes bring our scared, confused baby into the room. We became. We became three... an us... a family.
I have watched this montage maybe a hundred times, and I have yet to successfully make it through without crying. Yet, I don't think I can put into words how I feel about my daughter, and how her presence in my life has altered it in such a fundamental, earth shattering way. There have been so many struggles ( one of which was last night when she fought sleep for 2 and 1/2 hours ) and frustrations and tears, but the love, light and joy she brings to the world is beyond my capacity to understand, let alone articulate. I am just so very, very grateful that she is mine... and that I am hers.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes!! LOTS of tears here! That was beautiful...what a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so hard to realize that she was once that small. She is now almost 2 and walking, running, talking, singing. Incredible. She takes my breathe away each and every time I see a picture of her. She is perfection wrapped up in the body of a little girl.
    You are a wonderfully beautiful family. I'm so glad Meron came into your life, and I'm even more glad you came into mine.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny I could still see the pictures through the tears! Thanks Kate ... it's so neat to see her wearing some of the boys stuff it brings back memories I have of them when they were that small. Can't believe it's been a year, wow can you even imagine where the time went .. I still remember the day you got the call, or I did in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kate .... incredible .... She has grown so much in just one year. Time really does fly .... when we don't want it to. That little Meron of yours is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. Enjoy the times, every minute of it, it'll go by so fast, and next thing you know you're buying school stuff .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Kate, the fact that you said you've watched this about a thousand times and can't make it through without crying...ha! I know how you feel. It is hard to articulate. It's funny, isn't it?! To feel so much and not be able to describe it adequately.

    Beautiful montage. What a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete