Thursday, June 24, 2010

So.... Where do we go from here?

We have the official word. The kids are going to go to their dad. It is what we expected, and although our hearts are seriously broken, it is good to have resolution. These past couple of months have been horrible. We are so grateful that they won't be in an orphanage.
So... now what? These are the kids we've been thinking of as 'ours' for 7 1/2 months. We love them. They are a part of our family. But they can't ever be our kids. So, our agency said they put us on the wait list for a referral. We discussed what ages/genders we would be open to. the range is pretty wide... siblings between the ages of 0 and 7, preferably with a girl older than 4. I was all set to sit and wait for several months, grieving the loss of the dreams we had for our family and preparing to accept the fact that two other kids will be in these visions instead. However, our case manager says that they have just received info on several sibling groups, some of whom 'may meet fall within the parameters' of our request. They are waiting for medical information, but say that we should expect to receive a referral with in the month!
I don't know how to process this. I'm kind of excited... I mean, how could it not be exciting to wait every day for the phone to ring and for someone to tell you that you have children? There are so many other emotions, though. I'm scared. What if we lose these kids too? This was horrible! How can we just fall in love with two more kids? Give them our hearts and hope they aren't broken again? And what if we look at them, and don't feel the same kind of connection as we felt when we looked at Yewubdar and Sintayehu? And how can we just... switch? It feels like we're being... disloyal. Replacing two children who are irreplaceable. Or something. I don't know. And I am still so freakin' SAD! I don't know if I'll be able to be as happy when I get this phone call as these future children, whoever they may be, deserve.
But, a phone call is coming... ready or not. We are really the only ones in our agency waiting for kids of these ages, so if we don't go on the wait list the kids will become waiting children... and I don't want them to sit in an orphanage waiting for me to process stuff. So I guess I'd better get ready.

2 comments:

  1. This whole process is just SO emotional! I'm sure when you get the call and see those precious faces, you will fall in love!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, everything will be ok. Can't wait to hear the news! Just think Kate, maybe these children are really the ones who were meant to be yours!!! Have faith that all will be as it should be!!!!

    ReplyDelete