Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Motherhood Lessons # 281, 282, and 283 That I Wish I Wouldn't Have Learned First Hand

Number 281: When a bottle of hot pink nail polish is shattered on the bathroom floor and sprays all over the ceramic tile, grout and white wainscoting, it is actually the hardest (read, impossible) to get off of the wainscoting. I was betting it would be more impossible to get it off of the grout, but the grout is only slightly pinkish and shimmery as opposed to really pink on the wood.

Number 282: Cleaning nail polish out of grout is substantially more difficult (not to mention substantially more frustrating) when a 30 pound child is continually jumping on your back, kicking you in the ribs and shouting, "Go horsey! GO!" and pushing your hands out of the way so they can 'lookit' what you're doing.

Number 283: Cleansing breaths, while important in maintaining an even disposition and pleasant tone of voice when being jumped on by a 30 pound child as you're are cleaning up a rather large, destructive, nail polish accident, are not advisable when one is crouched over a large puddle of nail polish and nail polish remover.

That is all.

8 comments:

  1. I'll claim some responsibility. It is, after all, me who thought that giving the girl nail polish would be a good idea...Unless it wasn't the nail polish I gave her, in which case, I withdraw my previous admission of guilt. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This JUST happened to us. I was foolish and used to keep my nail stuff in a basket in the cabinet with the extra towels. No problem forever. Then one day Sam decided to get into said cabinet and since it's in the bathroom, Gregg was otherwise occupied and couldn't get to the cabinet in time and Sam picked up and dropped the bottle of my favorite hot pink. It shattered. It went on the tile and grout. I was able to get it off the wood. And the tile. But the grout is forever an ever-so-pale shade of pink. I don't think there is anything to do but cut out and re-grout. Right? If you come up with a better solution, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! (although I'm sure it wasn't at the time!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sandpaper and paint, kate...

    the sandpaper will work for both the grout and the wainscot. I love my horse-riding granddaughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Elz- You aren't the guilty one. It was an old bottle of my nail polish. That is all.
    @ Meg- Lol. I just poured a big puddle of the nail polish remover on the floor and let it sit for a while. I think it is mostly gone... but the bathroom sure stinks.
    @ Cami- Thanks! I'll have to check out your blog.
    @ Mom. Me too. She is lovely... but I do wish she wouldn't do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that's a relief for me anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, I'd love to tell you this will be the only one you'll learn first hand, but sadly I cannot.:) Don't worry though, every motherhood lesson is totally worth it. Merrie gets more adorable with every picture I see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9/03/2010

    LOVE this photo! :)

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete