Saturday, August 28, 2010

Two Years...




















So, I actually missed writing about our two year anniversary on our anniversary. Yeah.. bad blogger. It has been two years since we met Meron. I wrote about that first meeting here, and won't repeat it.
I wrote a letter to Meron on our anniversary, though, and I'll share a little piece of it today.

Dear Mimi Tewabech,
It was two years ago when we met you. You were so small and scared. We loved you so much, but we felt pretty small and scared, too. You see, once we met you, we knew what an incredibly important job we were going to have to do. We realized, the minute we looked into your eyes, that it was no ordinary spirit that was being entrusted to us. You literally light up any room you walk into. People walking by you often stop in their tracks when they see you. People who meet you fall in love with you.
I am often worried that you will think that this is because you are beautiful. You are beautiful; you are the most achingly lovely little person I have ever seen, in fact. That is not the reason that people are so drawn to you, even if they think that it is. You have a light inside you that people recognize without knowing why. People see you and they recognize that you are unique in amazing ways. Your eyes are radiant with intelligence, laughter, joy, trust, love and just... you. This brilliance makes you far lovelier than any physical features ever could. When I first saw you, the you that shines like a beacon that attracts most every one you meet, I made it my mission to make sure that nothing dims that light. That is what made me so absolutely terrified, Meron. The thought that I might not be good enough or strong enough or right enough to keep that part of you safe still makes me tremble on a daily basis. That light is still there, so I guess we must be doing all right together. I will keep trying, and hope the resilience that has carried you this far in your life will make up for my many, many mistakes. And I will keep loving you with all of my heart. And I am so grateful that I am your mama.






1 comment:

  1. Super cute. Swimming lessons in the near future?

    ReplyDelete