Tuesday, November 4, 2008

We Voted!











Merrie and I cast our votes this morning. I was a little emotional, which surprised me a lot. I was just sitting there, coloring in the appropriate circle, when I was suddenly struck by the enormous change the results of the election could make in the future of this tiny little girl sitting in the voting booth in front of me. In preparation for our adoption, we learned as much as we could about what our brown skinned daughter will be facing in her life in America. There is still so much racism, some subtle and some obvious. If Obama does as well as his supporters hope and lives up to even a fraction of the expectations we have, I can't help but think the opinions some people have about African Americans will be swayed a little. And, if a new generation of children grows up thinking it is normal for a black man to be the president, how might that change the world for Meron? I am so hopeful for the future of our country and for my daughter tonight.

On an entirely different subject...

I just completed my second day of work. It was worse for me and better for Meron than I expected. I think it is probably worst of all for my coworkers. I mean, not everyone knows exactly how to act when they ask me if I'm glad to be back at work and I get all weepy. Plus, I think they are probably looking more for a brief 'good' than the blow by blow account of all of her many talents, pleasant attributes and developmental milestones I give them. I can't help it. She really is the best little person on the planet. Merrie is doing better than I am. She is just really clingy when I am home... but that is okay, because I am really clingy with her when I am home. The part I am really worried about is the 3 times this month that I have to work from 3-11 pm and then be back at work at 6:30am the next morning. I won't see her for 24 hours! It makes me a little nauseous just thinking about it. But, I'm sure we'll make it. Also, it is really hitting me how little I am going to see my husband for a while. We literally will only see each other in the parking lot when we switch... so between 2:58 and 3:01pm every day until Saturday at 3. I guess we see each other for a few minutes when I get home, but Nathan has to be at work at 6:30, so it doesn't really work so well for him to stay up that late... It will be okay. We both decided it is worth it for right now so that Meron doesn't have to go to daycare. When she is older and more used to us, it won't be such a big deal for her to go to daycare a couple of days a week. Until then, we both will get lots of one on one time with her, and I think that is good. So, here is a video of our cute little cruiser, right before we went to vote today. I don't think it will be long before she is walking, do you? It was right before nap time, so she was a little whiny... but still cute. Also, you can see in the pictures that she has scratches all over her nose. Those are from trying to stay up and not sleep last night. She really is a determined sort. She gets scratches a lot, no matter how short we keep her nails. I think it is only fair that I have a daughter so determined to NOT SLEEP at night. At least, that is what my parents say. Apparently, I used to physically hold my eyes open. I think that is preferable to scratching herself to stay awake... but I have to admit that it is quite effective!

3 comments:

  1. Kate -- she is SO AMAZING!! she will definitely be walking soon, you can tell those legs are getting strong. And she does really well at balancing with only 1 hand on the couch! Her hair is really growing in too -- what a change in such a short time. Her vocalization is getting clearer too. I think I could make out some words there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, you and Nathan will make it, trust me! It's not easy being a first time mom and dad and sometimes the marriage takes the backseat for a while. But if you guys are strong like I know you are. Your marriage will only get stronger and your children will grow up seeing how you both can make it work! Okay I'm starting to tear up typing this so ... Merrie's so precious. I need to see her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've figured out what I want for Christmas (in addition to peace on earth, a green economy, and proper healthcare for all children in the world)...I want a Meron! Can you clone her or something?? That video is too-precious. I think I've watched it about 16 times...

    ReplyDelete